Friday, June 18, 2010

U.S.A. 2 - Slovenia 2

Everyone in the world knows that the score above is not the real score of the game, but you don't need me to whine on and on about the ridiculous call that you probably got to see better than me.

So, yes, today was one of the U.S. soccer game days. We actually started the day in Soweto, which stands for the Southwest Township, an area in Johannesburg that was very instrumental in the ending of Apartheid. I must tell you all about this, but it won't happen in this post.

Regardless, we went from Soweto to nearby Ellis Park for the game. It was a great afternoon for soccer; not cold, especially since we were sitting in the sun. Our seats were near the top again, but the site line was wonderful, and we were near the half line. Nearly our whole section was rooting for America, which was a nice change from the England game. It meant that we could all cheer and sigh and yell in unison, especially during the many times that the referee tried to steal the game from us (whoops, I wasn't going to write about it.)

Anyway, I don't recommend that people who are manic depressive watch soccer. So few goals are scored and therefore so much rides on each goal. After the first half, we were deflated in the stands. I sat depressed with my head in my hands. But Fr. Mitchel, in all his wisdom, said that we were going to come back, and he was right. Even though we were down, we all knew that the U.S. had the potentional to put the ball in the net. And they did. And we cheered.

It's funny that when in a situation like this, some inhibitions go away. I was seated next to a guy from San Francisco who just arrived in the country this morning. He was your typical Californian, very laid back and friendly. After our second goal, I first hugged Fr. Mitchel. Then I turned and gave this guy a big bear hug. I don't think he was expecting it, but he didn't hit me in response. We were just too overjoyed to care.

Although we all wanted to win, the U.S. fans were so proud of the team, and we all left with such joy in our hearts. The four Slovenia fans in our section, yeah, not so much. They were deflated.

Okay, enough. We've done more than soccer, but I haven't written it up yet. Soon. Remember, Fr. Mitchel's pictures are at World Cup Photos.

God Bless,

Fr. Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment