Thursday, June 17, 2010

Sunday, the Day of Rest,

I know what you're thinking. We were only in the country for two days and yet we already were taking a light day. Well, one thing you need to know about me is this: I gravitate toward laziness, even when in another country for a short time. It is good that Fr. Mitchel is on this trip, or I'd be sitting in front of the TV the whole time. Maybe not, but we do more thanks to Fr. Mitchel and Denise (our hostess extraordinaire.)

We went to Mass at the local church, with some of the folks wanting to meet us afterward. It was nice to meet them, with many needing some prayers. I met a man who informed me that the stainless steel for the Arch in St. Louis actually came from here in South Africa. Interesting. I'll be thinking of that next time I scale it and parachute off the top.

After Mass we went to breakfast at a local restaurant. It was nice to have relatively normal breakfast, unlike Europe, where "breakfast" can be a disaster.

Then we went to an African market where locals sold their wares. It was enormous. Some pretty cool stuff there. Lots of neat jewelry (make note, nieces.) Didn't buy anything but some addictive nuts covered with cinnamon and sugar. They're all gone, by the way.

The rest of the day was relaxing and watching soccer on the tube.

That's enough of that. Will write more later.

God Bless,

Fr. Scott

1 comment:

  1. Your European breakfast comment made me laugh and reminded me of the first time that Berty and I:

    1) Had breakfast in Europe (Rome), and
    2) Met your parents, who shared our table. Poor Berty just asked an innocent question: "So, where are you from?" LOL!

    Good times! :-)

    ReplyDelete